Keeping the cousin connection alive across this fabulous nation and around the world

In the words of Sister Sledge, "We are Family"

Sunday, May 16, 2010


Good Sunday Morning !

This is the exact moment in time when 'Peggers are lulled into a false sense of meteorological comfort. It is mid-May (even better than midway) and yesterday Mother Nature granted us a beautiful day. We've had a lot of rain & grey skies of late. I know, I know, the rain was badly needed, and the explosion of green is refreshing and desperately needed after weeks of the dust and grime that melting snow leaves behind, but rain to a teacher means indoor recess and mobs of children who's delicate sensors react STRONGLY to changes in barometric pressure (I am nothing if not adept in euphemistic prose). BUT 'Peggers should know better...Mother Nature has duped us before. THEREFORE I have vowed not to gather up the winter gear for the spring-wash-and-store process until July 1. And to those who will goadingly say, "sure sure, it is just procrastination dressed up in scepticism", I say "You try and sit through 3 hours of baseball on a chilly May-June evening." I will not be snookered and the fleece blanket, toques and gloves will remain close at hand.


This weeks photos are courtesy of the eldest Campbell cousin, Dean Campbell, number one son of Uncle Craig (#3 son of Gladys and Douglas) and Aunt Enid. When I was a little girl I thought Dean was extremely tall and, like his brothers, exotic because they were American. Our meetings were years apart, and at some point I realized that maybe he wasn't so tall after all (sorry Dean, but the Campbells aren't really towering giants!) but he does remain exotic because he is still and American, his wife is Mexican, they both have two degrees each and they have the first great-grand-children.

Thanks for the photos Dean. Stay in touch.

Eleven year old Angelica Campbell in a field of East Texas wildflowers




Our cousin, Dean Campbell in his office, looking respectable.



Dean and his partners, looking rather informal.
(I'm sure if you need a lawyer in Texas they would serve you well)



Dean with his wife Maria and friends.


PHOTOS WANTED!
Don't be shy or modest,
send me photos of your vacations,
children, pets, home renos,
I will happily post them for our
collective viewing pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon,

    Greetings from El Paso, Texas and thanks so much for the kind words! I feel honored (or honoured) and privileged to be featured in your blog. I'd like to add just two points of correction. My partners and I are accountants, not attorneys; although after Enron and Worldcom in the mind of the general public that may be a distinction without a difference. Second, we have just one grandchild, Angelica, who is probably the first of the great-great-grandchildren of Douglas and Gladys Campbell.

    Regarding May in Winnipeg, the last time I was there was May 1st 2002(?), I was at a large family gathering at the former home of Uncle Scott and Aunt Sonya on Wellington Crescent, and it was snowing in the afternoon! Roy Druitt(?) asked me just how hot it could get in El Paso in the summer, and I replied the highs could exceed 100 degrees F. Roy exclaimed that a person would have to be crazy to live there. I mumbled something or other in response and glanced out the window as the snow flakes fell ever faster, all the while wondering how many El Pasoans would regard living in Winnipeg as crazy. To each his own, but I prefer hot and dry to cold and damp.

    I love the blog! What a great way for me to find out what's going on with the extended family a thousand miles away!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete